1/12/2010

HOUSE SITTING

The sound of cicadas is the first thing I notice when Tim and I arrived at the house, a wall of sound, rising and falling and telling me I am warm.




I am wide awake at 5.15 and get up to photograph an unfurling tree fern against the dawn sky





Birds arrive at the feeder, mostly taking turns, a bird rota, crimson rosellas,


 lovely brown pigeons, bullying sulphur crested cockatoos,rainbow lorakeets




Tim sleeps, the wind rises, the cicadas go silent.




Looking after the dogs is fun. I play stick with Ruby when Trudi isn't looking.
The cat died just before we arrived and the vet and previous house sitter wrapped it up and put in the freezer under the dogs bones. Ulric will bury it when he's back.



Reading Sarah Maitlands 'Book of Silence'. She writes of Georg Candors 'elegant mathmatical proof that infinity comes in different sizes'.
I take photos of dog Trudi.
Ann and Ulric return.


CRICKET

I have never been to a cricket match in my life. This was a one day event between Australia and Pakistan. I felt sorry for Pakistan who must be demoralised, unable to play in their own country.



It is quite a fairground. The Mexican Wave looks rather lovely as it undulates through the stands. A weirder phenomenon involves men with giant blow up hands. They perform a short ritual with them when a batsman hits a 4.




Quite a lot of people are arrested (if you throw, you go) Many spend most of the match with their backs to the players indulging in various crowd games or, in the case of the Pakistanis, dancing a male dance. Others just sat, and drank a great deal of beer.


I find I quite enjoy the slow patterns of movement across the huge green space.



As the sky darkens (it's day/night cricket) I notice that the distant city skyscrapers have hardly any lights on. Quite unlike the nightly fairy light show that is the city of London. Much more energy conscious here.


MISCELLANEOUS

On Australia Day we walked through the parks, looking at vintage cars, completely rebuilt, families picniking, music playing. At the end point, Mrs Macqueries Seat we watched the Tall Ships race. In the park are trees I particularly love - Moreton Bay Figs.  The park notice says you are allowed to hug them but I didn't.


Norman Foster Deutscher Bank building


Fluid against angular



There is a huge colony of flying foxes (very large bats) roosting in the trees of the Botanical gardens. I find them creepy creatures but also fascinating.They are destroying the tops of the trees and steps have to be taken....
In the evening, as I sit in the garden watching the dusk, I notice the bats come flying. They have a slow ungainly flight quite different from a bird
They also have a wide variety of calls and sqeaks.

It's quite a flight from the Botanical Gardens to here. Some swoop low over the garden and others fly surprisingly high.

Australia Day celebrant


Watching the news in the evening I saw there had been a separate álternative Australia Day event with indigenous people and Amnesty International. It looked interesting and I was sorry not to have known about it until too late.